Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sarasota in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

De Sota Park / Logan and Currin, Inc.

 
 
De Sota Park Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 29, 2019
1. De Sota Park Marker
Inscription.  
De Sota Park
During the Florida Land Boom of the 1920's, many new subdivision were platted, both within the City of Sarasota and within expanded city limits. On September 10, 1924, Lewis Combs (1892-1943), a native of Illinois who came to Sarasota in 1911, filed the "De Sota Park Subdivision" plat in Sarasota Heights, an area just outside the city limits. The subdivision name is thought to be a slight alteration in the spelling of Hernando de Soto, an early Spanish explorer of Florida.

Although initial sales were slow, lot sales in the subdivision began to escalate with sales of multiple lots, causing Sarasota Heights to be incorporated into the city limits in 1925. For the next two years, many of the period's most prominent Sarasota architects designed homes and several area builders constructed homes in the subdivision.

Logan and Currin, Inc. was DeSota Park's most active builder in the early years of development (see side two).

As a result, Frank Logan constructed his family home on 1937 Datura Street. In addition to the Logan's home, the subdivision became home to some of Sarasota's
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
more prominent citizens.

Although lot sales virtually stopped in 1926 until after WWII, by the 1960's, the subdivision was fully developed and had become and remains one of Sarasota's most attractive premier neighborhoods. The real estate boom of the early 2000's and subsequent recovery ushered in an era of original homes being replaced with homes that were larger and more modern. (Side one)

Logan and Currin, Inc.
During the Florida Land Boom of the 1920's and into the 1940's, Sarasota benefitted from a number of distinguished builders; among the more prominent and respected was Logan and Currin, Inc. Logan and Currin was formed in 1924 by Frank A. Logan (1895-1938) and Russell A. Currin (1894-1967). Both were natives of Ohio, fraternity brothers at Dennison University in Granville, Ohio, and served together in the Army during WWI at the Edgewood Arsenal in Maryland. Shortly thereafter, Logan worked as a civilian in the gas defense section of the U.S. Chemical Warfare Division, where he invented a new gas mask canister, later named the Logan Canister in his honor. The canister was still in use early in WWII, although Logan succumbed earlier as a result of self-testing canister prototypes.

Currin came to Sarasota in 1923. Frank Logan arrived a year later to partner with Currin in the building business.

For the
Logan and Currin, Inc. Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 29, 2019
2. Logan and Currin, Inc. Marker
next ten years, the company was responsible for the construction of numerous beautiful homes and buildings throughout Sarasota, including the main building of Sarasota Hospital, the Presbyterian Church, Christian Church and Thacker Funeral Home. Many of the residences they built in the 1920's were located in De Sota Park Subdivision including the Logan Family home.

By the mid-1930's, Logan essentially withdrew from the firm to work in the bond business. However, at Currin's request the Company retained its original name. Logan and Currin, Inc. experienced a resurgence with the construction of several buildings at the Sarasota Air Base during WWII and continued to construct buildings in Sarasota into the early 1960's. By the mid-1960's, Currin sold the firm to Jack Bryant. The Logan and Currin name continued to be used for many years due to the respect in which the name was held. (Side two)
 
Erected 2014 by Historic Preservation Board.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is September 10, 1924.
 
Location. 27° 18.911′ N, 82° 32.017′ W. Marker is in Sarasota, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker is at the intersection of South Osprey Avenue and Hyde Park Street, on the right when traveling north
De Sota Park/Logan and Currin, Inc. Marker looking south image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 29, 2019
3. De Sota Park/Logan and Currin, Inc. Marker looking south
on South Osprey Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sarasota FL 34236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named De Sota Park / Logan and Currin, Inc. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sarasota's First Post Office (approx. ¼ mile away); The Wallendas (approx. ¼ mile away); Avondale (approx. 0.6 miles away); In Loving Memory of of Sue Anna Kauffman (approx. 0.9 miles away); Mr. Grover Yancy (approx. 0.9 miles away); Selby House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Selby Gardens (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sarasota.
 
More about this marker. There is an identical marker nearby at the south entrance to the area.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 92 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 2, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146044

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024