Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Gulnare in Pike County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Snivley Chapel

 
 
Snivley Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 19, 2019
1. Snivley Chapel Marker
Inscription.  Persons professing the Methodist faith were meeting on Johns Creek prior to 1832. On April ll, 1853, land for a church was conveyed by deed of Martin and Sarah B. Lesley to trustees Thomas May, James Maynard, Samuel Marrs, Allen Lesley, and Martin Lesley. The chapel was named for Rev. W. J. Snivley, the circuit rider serving the church when it was built.
 
Erected by The United Methodist Church, in memory of Myrtle (May) Walker.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 37° 37.033′ N, 82° 32.925′ W. Marker is near Gulnare, Kentucky, in Pike County. Marker is on Kentucky Route 194 south of Sycamore Road, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pikeville KY 41501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leslie / Lesley Settlement (approx. half a mile away); Struggle for the Big Sandy Valley (approx. 6˝ miles away); The Battle of Ivy Mountain (approx. 6˝ miles away); a different
Snivley Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 19, 2019
2. Snivley Chapel Marker
marker also named The Battle of Ivy Mountain (approx. 6˝ miles away); McCoy House (approx. 9˝ miles away); Col. John Dils, Jr. (approx. 9.6 miles away); Effie Waller Smith (approx. 9.6 miles away); John Paul Riddle (approx. 9.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Tour Pike County .com entry for Snivley Chapel. “Located on Lower Johns Creek in Pike County, Snivley Chapel is the oldest church building in Pike County.” (Submitted on March 2, 2020.) 
 
Snivley Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, October 19, 2019
3. Snivley Chapel and Marker
The lintel over the door reads, “Snivley Chapel, Deeded A.D. Apr. 11, 1853 by Martin Lesley and Sarah B. Lesley his wife to Martin Lesley – Thomas B. May — James Maynard – Samuel Marrs and Allen Lesley, Trustees.”
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 2, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 43 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 2, 2020, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 24, 2021