Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Opelousas in St. Landry Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old Federal Building

1891

 
 
Old Federal Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cajun Scrambler, February 21, 2020
1. Old Federal Building Marker
Inscription.  This three story Romanesque Revival building has been an Opelousas landmark for over a century. Begun in 1890 and completed the following year, at the time it was one of the largest federal buildings in the state. In 1933, the Federal Court Building and post office workroom were added and the entrance moved from Landry Street to Court Street. The building sits on the site which was once the residence of Manon Baldwin, a free woman of color and prominent business woman. In addition to Baldwin's residence, the property was also a boarding house and tavern.
 
Erected 2015 by City of Opelousas, Preserve America Grant, National Park Service, United States Department of the Interior.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureGovernment & PoliticsNotable Buildings.
 
Location. 30° 31.991′ N, 92° 4.972′ W. Marker is in Opelousas, Louisiana, in St. Landry Parish. Marker is on South Court Street south of East Landry Street (U.S. 190), on the right when traveling
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 South Court Street, Opelousas LA 70570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shute's Drug Store (a few steps from this marker); Old Lacombe Hotel Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Manon's Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Seven Brothers Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Let Freedom Ring (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Landry Parish Mural (within shouting distance of this marker); Opelousas (within shouting distance of this marker); Pitre's Corner (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Opelousas.
 
More about this marker. East Landry Street (U.S. Highway 190) is also known as the Ronald Reagan Highway.
 
Old Federal Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cajun Scrambler, February 21, 2020
2. Old Federal Building Marker
Old Federal Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cajun Scrambler, February 21, 2020
3. Old Federal Building Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 5, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 257 times since then and 58 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 5, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146177

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024