Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmetto in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Palmetto's Schools

 
 
Palmetto's Schools Marker Side 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 21, 2019
1. Palmetto's Schools Marker Side 1
Inscription.  Side 1
From its 1868 home in a log building at 1102 Riverside Drive, S.S. Lamb's home school moved to the corner of 4th St. and 9th Ave. where a frame schoolhouse opened in 1889 with 60 pupils and Miss Frankie McKay (Mrs. James A. Howze) as teacher principal. When voters passed a Resolution on June 15, 1893 to incorporate the City of Palmetto, they also approved a $1,500 schoolhouse bond. The Palmetto Academy opened with 2 classrooms in 1895 at 10th Ave. and 7th St. In 1909 C.A. Rowlett received the school's first High School diploma. The school's 300 students moved out in 1911 for construction of a new red brick building, which opened in 1912. It served until 1959.
(Continued on other side)
Side 2
(Continued from other side)
A 1923 2-story school on 9th Ave. served 700 pupils until 1977. The 1926 2-story Grammar School on 7th Street was dedicated to Mrs. Howze. It was also demolished in 1977. When Palmetto and Bradenton's high schools merged in 1947, this campus housed the Junior High and Frankie A. Howze Elementary. In 1958 a new High School opened on
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
17th Street. Palmetto Elementary remained on 7th Street until January 2010 when a new school opened on 10th Street. After 115 years, no school was located in downtown Palmetto.
 
Erected 2016 by Manatee County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: EducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
 
Location. 27° 31.05′ N, 82° 34.488′ W. Marker is in Palmetto, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is on 7th Street West west of 9th Avenue West, on the left when traveling west. Marker is located at the former location of the 1926 school. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palmetto FL 34221, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woman’s Club of Palmetto (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); T.P. Winter Building (about 400 feet away); The Palmetto Armory (about 400 feet away); In Memory Of All Veterans (about 500 feet away); Cypress House Military Museum (about 600 feet away); Heritage Chapel (about 600 feet away); The Plymouth (about 700 feet away); 1914 Carnegie Library (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmetto.
 
Palmetto's Schools Marker Side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 21, 2019
2. Palmetto's Schools Marker Side 2
Palmetto's Schools Marker and former location of school image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, October 21, 2019
3. Palmetto's Schools Marker and former location of school
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 9, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 9, 2020, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146453

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2024