One of Eureka's First Houses
The Tannehill brothers built this cabin for a residence in 1864 and lived here about a year before selling their mining interest to a New York company in 1866. The cabin subsequently went through a number of owners, including the firm of Nathan & Harrison, one of the area's first mercantile establishments in the late 1860's.
Fires, floods and the ravages of time have spared the structure and local residents take a justifiable pride in the fact that they have been able to save it.
Erected by Division of Historic Preservation and Archeology and Eureka County Historical Society. (Marker Number 222.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1864.
Location. 39° 30.2′ N, 115° 57.567′ W. Marker is in Eureka, Nevada, in Eureka County. Marker is at the intersection of Highway 50 and Tan Hill Road, on the right when traveling east on Highway 50. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eureka NV 89316, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 25, 2008, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,178 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 25, 2008, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California.