Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Flomaton in Escambia County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

The Old Church Bell

 
 
The Old Church Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 8, 2016
1. The Old Church Bell Marker
Inscription.  In 1878, Rev. James Lazaruth Bryars planted First Baptist Church in the community that would eventually come to be known as Flomaton. The bell was in the original wooden church building located on Palafox Street, and it was moved to the current building in 1947. This bell is a memorial to the work that God has done in this community over the last 135 years, and a reminder of what God will do in the future through First Baptist Church.
Erected in Memory of Doris Keese
by Rev. Jerry Keese and Friends

 
Erected by Rev. Jerry Keese and Friends.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
 
Location. 31° 0.194′ N, 87° 15.793′ W. Marker is in Flomaton, Alabama, in Escambia County. Marker is on Dr. Van Avenue (Houston Street) just south of College Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker and bell are mounted near the southwest corner of the First Baptist Church,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
facing Houston Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 648 Dr Van Avenue, Flomaton AL 36441, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alabama's Own (within shouting distance of this marker); Flomaton, Alabama (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Century, Florida / Alger Railroad (approx. 2 miles away in Florida); Francis B. Bonifay Law Office (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Lindsey-Fitzgerald House (approx. 5.6 miles away); Pollard Methodist Church (approx. 5.7 miles away); Pollard Station (approx. 5.7 miles away); Site of Pollard (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Flomaton.
 
The Old Church Bell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 8, 2016
2. The Old Church Bell Marker
(First Baptist Church in background)
First Baptist Church Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 8, 2016
3. First Baptist Church Plaque
First Baptist Church
Organized 1878
Erected 1947
E. McCoy Bynum Pastor
First Baptist Church, Flomaton, Alabama image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, May 8, 2016
4. First Baptist Church, Flomaton, Alabama
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 452 times since then and 144 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 20, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146902

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024