Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Spencer Brook in Isanti County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Spencer Brook School District Number One

1858 – 1945

 
 
Spencer Brook School District Number One marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By McGhiever, July 12, 2016
1. Spencer Brook School District Number One marker
Inscription.  With vacations scheduled around potato picking, Christmas and springtime mud, Spencer Brook School opened its doors in 1858 to become the first of 67 rural schools organized in Isanti County Minnesota. It was also the first school in the county to conduct lessons solely in the English language.

Classes were initially held in private buildings. By 1874, however, the need for a school house became apparent and this land was purchased from W. Higbie as a school site. Lumber was obtained from E.G. and Gilbert Clough and a carpenter, John Satterstrom, was hired as the builder. With the help of neighbors, Satterstrom completed this building in 1877.

John Stadden, the school's first treasurer, met Spencer Brook's operating costs with patrons subscriptions ranging from 30¢ to $1.50, adding to the funds accumulated from a special tax levy. Part of those funds covered the salary of the school's first teacher, Miss Haskell.

A total of 301 pupils attended Spencer Brook School from 1895 until it was closed in 1945. The enrollment for the period of 1858 until 1895 is not known.

Initial Spencer Brook School Board 1869
Louis Blomquist – Director
William J. Evers – Clerk
E. G. Clough – Treasurer

This sign was originally erected in 1974, and was reproduced in 2008 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of School District Number One by the Isanti County Historical Society.
 
Erected 2008 by Isanti County Historical Society.
 
Topics.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
 
Location. 45° 31.31′ N, 93° 26.636′ W. Marker is in Spencer Brook, Minnesota, in Isanti County. Marker is on 305th Lane NW west of Feldspar Street NW, on the left when traveling west. Marker is mounted on the north façade of the school. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6823 305th Lane NW, Princeton MN 55371, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brickton: You Are Here! (approx. 9.8 miles away); Brickton, Minnesota (approx. 9.8 miles away); Work in the Brickyards (approx. 9.8 miles away); History of the Rum River (approx. 10.2 miles away); Isanti County District No. 38 (approx. 10½ miles away).
 
Spencer Brook School, with marker mounted between the front doors image. Click for full size.
Photographed By McGhiever, July 12, 2016
2. Spencer Brook School, with marker mounted between the front doors
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2020, by McGhiever of Minneapolis, Minnesota. This page has been viewed 283 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 19, 2020, by McGhiever of Minneapolis, Minnesota. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=146904

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024