Bentley Springs in Baltimore County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Charles Bentley and his wife Anna purchased land in 1858 from the estate of James Calder and named it Bentley's Springs. Five different types of water “of great medicinal value” were found in the springs. In the 1930s, water from the springs was bottled here and shipped by rail to Washington and Philadelphia for use in office building coolers. Charles Bentley was an iron manufacturer in Baltimore who established the Baltimore Steam Boiler Works.
Apparently the Bentleys had no monetary concerns as they were able to launch a substantial building program. First a railroad station, a one story fieldstone building, was erected. Opposite the station, they
Unfortunately the hotel burned on Nov. 7, 1868. Mr. Bentley then leased a site on the other side of the railroad to a company which built a 22 room mansion called "The Boarding House". This facility was later used as a retreat for disabled soldiers and finally was rented out as apartments until the 1950s when it was razed.
During the late 1800s Bentley Springs was quite prosperous. Farmers hauled lime, fertilizer, and produce to the railroad. Saw mills produced load after load of lumber and railroad ties. Paper and grist mills flourished in the area due to the abundance of water.
Even though most of the historic buildings of Bentley Springs have long since disappeared, as you look around, the area still exudes much of the healthy country atmosphere discovered by Charles Bentley so many years ago.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1858.
Location. 39° 40.491′ N, 76° 40.24′ Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Parkton MD 21120, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Virginia Hall (approx. 1.4 miles away); Parkton, MD Track Chart (approx. 2.1 miles away); Freeland (approx. 2.3 miles away); Mason and Dixon Line (approx. 3.3 miles away); Mason and Dixon Mile Stone (approx. 3.3 miles away); Summit Grove (approx. 4.4 miles away in Pennsylvania); Fosters "Masemore" Mill (approx. 4˝ miles away); All Aboard! (approx. 4.8 miles away in Pennsylvania).
Also see . . . Torrey C. Brown Rail Trail (Wikipedia). The Northern Central Railway, built in 1832, ran between Baltimore, Maryland, and Sunbury, Pennsylvania, and was one of the oldest rail lines in the country. The railway serviced the growing Baltimore, York and Harrisburg industries, had 46 stops, 22 of which were in Maryland, and operated for 140 years. It carried passengers, people vacationing at Bentley Springs, and freight between Baltimore and York or Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. (Submitted on March 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.