Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Site of the Oldest Building in Albany
General Philip Schuyler
and Elizabeth, his daughter,
wife of Alexander Hamilton.
Adjoining on the west was
the famous “Lewis Tavern.”
South Pearl St. formerly
Washington St. was but
twelve feet wide, having
a gate at this place.
Original building demolished
in 1888 for erection of Albany
County Savings Bank Building
Present building constructed in
80 State Street
Constructed by the L.A. Swyer Company
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1667.
Location. 42° 38.972′ N, 73° 45.163′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is on State Street (State Highway 5) just east of South Pearl Street (State Highway 32), on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at knee-level near the northwest corner of the M & T Bank building, facing State Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 80 State Street, Albany NY 12207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Martin Van Buren Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Lydius Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); A City of Outstanding Historical Significance (within shouting distance of this marker); Anneke Janse Bogardus House Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Philip Livingston (within shouting distance of this marker); The Albany Academy (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); An English Neighborhood (about 500 feet away); 1st Telephone Central Office in New York State (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Also see . . . Southeast Corner of State and Pearl Streets. The house depicted in the painting by the artist, Charles Grant Davidson, is a modernization of a two part house built about 1659-1667 by Philip Pieterse Schuyler (1628-1683). The original Schuyler house stood on the corner of State Street and what would become South Pearl Street. Formerly the words Anno Domini, in iron letters, ran across the front of the two part house, and over the upper story the year 1667 was written, also in iron. (Submitted on March 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 21, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 91 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.