Roanoke in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Silver Spur Saloon
Swedish stone mason Lawrence Olson constructed this building for brothers R.M. and B.S. Snead in 1886; they built it to house the Silver Spur Saloon. The building was sold upon R.M. Snead's death in 1911 and later served as a hardware store and grocery. The two-story building is the oldest extant commercial building in the community, with a main façade of cut sandstone quarried from local ranch land, arched windows and keystones, a belt course and corbels of limestone, and side and rear load-bearing walls composed of rubble stone. Metal threshold plates are inscribed with the Snead Brothers' names.
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15720.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1886.
Location. 32° 59.968′ N, 97° 13.719′ W. Marker is in Roanoke, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is at the intersection of Rusk Street and N Oak Street, on the left when traveling west on Rusk StreetTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 114 N Oak Street, Roanoke TX 76262, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Westlake and the Circle T Ranch (approx. 2.3 miles away); Pioneer Stone Burial Cairns (approx. 3½ miles away); Justin (approx. 6.6 miles away); Prairie Mound Cemetery (approx. 7.6 miles away); Johns' Well and Campgrounds (approx. 8.3 miles away); Dr. Lilburn Howard Colley (approx. 9 miles away); Alfred Madison Hightower (approx. 9.1 miles away); Nash Farm (approx. 9.4 miles away).
More about this marker. This building is a Recorded Historic Texas Landmark, and a 2009 Texas Historical Marker
Regarding Silver Spur Saloon. Mr. Snead's rock building was a hotel and saloon. Local legend indicates that it was a brothel. Apparently, the building next door (112 Oak) was two stories and housed a bank at this time. Upstairs there was a door between the two buildings. This allowed patrons to come into the bank, go upstairs and pass through to the brothel without detection. The door is still in evidence. In later years, the building was used as a grocery, the site of future mayor Hugh Jenkins' hardware store (before he constructed his own building across the street at 200 N Oak) and cafe. The structure at 112 Oak is now only one story due
Credits. This page was last revised on March 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 95 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.