Azle in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Azle Christian Church
This congregation grew from worship services conducted here in the 1880s on land donated by Dr. Azle Stewart, for whom the town was named. Organized in 1890, the Fellowship met under a brush arbor until 1893, when the first sanctuary was completed. The earliest youth organization for the church was the Christian Endeavor, started about 1904. Members of that group established the first Public Library for Azle in the home of Valera Huster. Additions were later made to the original structure and a new sanctuary was built in 1974.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 255.)
Location. 32° 53.518′ N, 97° 32.571′ W. Marker is in Azle, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is on Church Street near Green Way, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 Church Street, Azle TX 76020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Azle Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); James Azle Steward (within shouting distance of this marker); William M. Rice Ash Creek Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Dido School (approx. 5.3 miles away); The 1865 Indian Creek Raid (approx. 7 miles away); Saginaw School (approx. 10½ miles away); Saginaw Cemetery (approx. 10½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Azle.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2020. This page originally submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 35 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.