Lewisville in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Chinn's Chapel Methodist Church
This church began as a nondenominational congregation organized by pioneer settlers of the Peters Colony in 1846. Itinerant preachers were invited to hold services in a log church/school building located about one quarter mile northwest of here. The log chapel was on 10 acres called Antioch donated by North Carolina immigrants Mary Stowe Chinn (1808-1871) and Elisha Chinn (1802-1876) for church and cemetery purposes.
The church was admitted to the North Texas Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, in 1872, as Chinn's Chapel Methodist Church. Sunday school classes began that year. In 1877 the church purchased 4 acres here at the site of freshwater springs and early camp meetings. A sanctuary was erected and a tabernacle built for summer revivals. The property also included a combination Woodmen of the World lodge hall/public school from 1884 to 1921. Chinn's Chapel served as the main gathering place for the area. Though membership declined sharply after World War II, the church endured. Through denominational merger it became Chinn's Chapel United Methodist Church in 1968. Local efforts to revive the institution
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 834.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 33° 4.891′ N, 97° 5.081′ W. Marker is in Lewisville, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is at the intersection of Chinn Chapel and Rolling Acres Drive, on the right when traveling north on Chinn Chapel. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Chinn Chapel Road, Lewisville TX 75077, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McCurley Cemetery (approx. 3˝ miles away); Old Alton Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); McCombs Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Flower Mound Presbyterian Church (approx. 5 miles away); Smith Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); Johns' Well and Campgrounds (approx. 7.7 miles away); Prairie Mound Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away); Texas International Pop Festival (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisville.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 73 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 25, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.