Lewisville in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This area of Denton County was known as Holford's Prairie in the mid-19th century, named for brothers John and James Halford (Holford), pioneer settlers who obtained 640 acres of land as members of the Peters Colony. Basdeal W. Lewis platted the town of Lewisville in 1853.
Thomas Morgan (1814-1887) and Elizabeth A. (1815-1883) Smith purchased 318 acres of land here in 1859. They sold two and one-half acres of their farmland to the Lewisville Masonic Lodge in 1881 for the establishment of a community cemetery. The site had been used as a burial ground since 1862, when the Smiths' 20-year-old son, James J. Smith, died and was buried on the family farm. His is the earliest marked grave in the Smith Cemetery.
Among the pioneer Denton County family names that can be seen on gravestones here are Herod, Sherrill, Clayton, Skillern, Cobb, Jenkins, Temple, Bourland, Hamilton, Fenlaw, Oliver and Fox. John Moore (1834-1922) and Ann Eliza (1849-1923) Fox had the sad task of burying six children here between 1863 and 1882, a testament to the often harsh conditions of pioneer life. Local oral history records suggest that some
The Smith Cemetery Association, organized in 1950 to maintain the historic graveyard, purchased the site from the Masonic lodge in 1972. Currently containing more than 400 marked graves and an unknown number of unmarked ones, the cemetery remains in use by the community and by descendants of the pioneer families interred here.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12390.)
Location. 33° 3.226′ N, 96° 59.376′ W. Marker is in Lewisville, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Smith Road. Smith Cemetery cannot be seen from the street. Turn into the parking lot on the north side of a business on Kealy Ave. Follow the road due east for about .2 mile (it becomes a gravel road about halfway). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 328 Smith Road, Lewisville TX 75077, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McCurley Cemetery (approx. 2.3 miles away); McCombs Cemetery (approx. 3.3 miles away); Texas International Pop Festival (approx. 3½ miles away); Flower Mound Presbyterian Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Chinn's Chapel Methodist Church (approx. 5.8 miles away); First Baptist Church, Hebron (approx. 8 miles away); Carrollton Black Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away); a different marker also named Carrollton Black Cemetery (approx. 8.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisville.
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2020. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.