Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Jacksonport in Door County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

St. Michael the Archangel

 
 
St Michael the Archangel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Fitzie Heimdahl, September 10, 2019
1. St Michael the Archangel Marker
Inscription.  French trader Médard Chouart des Groseilliers spent the winter of 1654–55 in Jacksonport, at the time a Potawatomi/Ottawa village known as Mechigan that was home to more than 3,000. Upon his return to Quebec, Groseilliers reported on the abundance of the area’s resources and on the multitude and character of its people. Having been invited by the Potawatomi to visit, Catholic missionaries requested they might be permitted to plant the cross of their faith within the village, calling their first prospective mission St. Michael, chief of the Archangels. Built more than two hundred years later, Jacksonport’s Catholic church was named St. Michael the Archangel.
(Continued on other side)

(Continued from other side)
Prior to construction of the church, Catholic residents celebrated Mass at various nearby homes. In 1875, John Reynolds was the first recorded baptism in Jacksonport at a location referred to as St. Michael’s. The next year construction began on St. Michael’s church. The lakefront location, including the cemetery site, was donated by the Charles Reynolds family. Early St. Michael’s member
St Michael the Archangel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Fitzie Heimdahl, September 10, 2019
2. St Michael the Archangel Marker
families included LeClair, Londo, Cardy, DesJardine, LeMere, Butler, Campbell, O’Brien, LaPlante, Lautenbach, Orthober, and Searth. Many of these families still have a presence in Jacksonport. Leona (Cote) Grovogel attended Mass here for one hundred years, from 1899–1999.
 
Erected 2019 by Jacksonport Historical Society. (Marker Number 580.)
 
Location. 44° 58.536′ N, 87° 11.224′ W. Marker is in Jacksonport, Wisconsin, in Door County. Marker is at the intersection of Wisconsin Route 57 and Lakeside Lane, on the right when traveling north on State Route 57. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6236 Hwy 57, Sturgeon Bay WI 54235, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Reynolds' Pier (approx. Ľ mile away); Jacksonport United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Episcopal Church of the Holy Nativity (approx. half a mile away); Halfway to the North Pole (approx. 2.2 miles away); Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 3.1 miles away); Scow Schooner Ocean Wave (approx. 3.4 miles away); a different marker also named Halfway to the North Pole (approx. 6˝ miles away); 8064 Hwy. 57 (approx. 6.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jacksonport.
 
Also see . . .  History of St. Michael the Archangel Church.
St Michael the Archangel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Fitzie Heimdahl, September 10, 2019
3. St Michael the Archangel Marker
(Submitted on March 26, 2020.)
 
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & ReligionExplorationSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2020. This page originally submitted on March 26, 2020, by Fitzie Heimdahl of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 44 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2020, by Fitzie Heimdahl of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement