Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Emmitsburg in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Bells of St. Joseph's Valley

 
 
The Bells of St. Joseph's Valley Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 27, 2020
1. The Bells of St. Joseph's Valley Marker
Inscription.  
Bells pealed throughout Saint Joseph's Valley with the joyful news of Mother Seton's beatification March 17, 1963

The Academy Bell, cast by George Harley of Philadelphia (n.d.), summoned boarding and day pupils of Saint Joseph's Academy to classes, worship, and recreation during the 19th and 20th centuries until 1945.

The "Dinky" Bell announced the arrival of Emmitsburg's train from 1875 until 1940. The "Dinky" transported pupils, visitors and sisters along with livestock and freight. The Sisters of Charity of Saint Joseph's (Daughters of Charity) were the major stockholders of the Emmitsburg Railroad.

The Seminary Bell, cast by Henry McShane & Co., Baltimore, Maryland, 1880, called new members of the Daughters of Charity to prayer, study and community gatherings for nearly a century until 1964.

The cornerstone of a two-story building of Saint Joseph's Academy which connected the Dubois and Gothic buildings from 1897 until 1965 is in the center of this heritage monument. Designed and built by Bruce Weatherly, Leo Hobbs, and Joshua Hobbs of the maintenance staff of Saint Joseph's Provincial House,
The Bells of St. Joseph's Valley Display image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 27, 2020
2. The Bells of St. Joseph's Valley Display
Click or scan to see
this page online
this monument utilizes Emmitsburg brown stone and Western Maryland field stone and was completed October 13, 2005.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionEducationRailroads & StreetcarsWomen. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 17, 1963.
 
Location. 39° 41.823′ N, 77° 19.608′ W. Marker is in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker can be reached from South Seton Avenue (Business U.S. 15) 1.7 miles north of Catoctin Mountain Highway (U.S. 15), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 339 South Seton Avenue, Emmitsburg MD 21727, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul of New York (within shouting distance of this marker); Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati (within shouting distance of this marker); Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton (1774-1821) (within shouting distance of this marker); Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul (within shouting distance of this marker); Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); Daughters of Charity (within shouting distance of
Donor plaque for the "Dinky" Bell image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 27, 2020
3. Donor plaque for the "Dinky" Bell
this marker); Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stone House (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emmitsburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 60 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=147288

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 20, 2021