Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Emmitsburg in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

St. Joseph's Valley Camp

"The poor fellows looked half-starved"

 

— Gettysburg Campaign —

 
St. Joseph's Valley Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 27, 2020
1. St. Joseph's Valley Camp Marker
Inscription.  
About 38,000 Union troops from three corps passed through Saint Joseph's Valley during the five days before the Battle of Gettysburg, until it seemed to the sisters that "the grounds around were actually covered with Soldiers." Emmitsburg was placed under martial law, and the priests at St. Joseph's Church in town needed passed to come here. Gens. John Reynolds and Oliver O. Howard stayed at St. Joseph's Rectory, while Gen. Daniel Sickles camped north of town. Gen. Carl Schurz stayed in the White House completed in 1810 for St. Elizabeth Ann Seton and her community.

On June 28, St. Joseph's farm manager Joseph Brawner prepared to harvest a clover field but found it barren. The 5th and 6th Michigan Cavalry troopers had arrived the night before and turned their horses loose to graze. The officers gave the sisters a voucher to pay for the clover.

Sister Mary Jane Stokes, who had charge of the farm and farm workers at St. Joseph's Central House, recorded her experience of feeding soldiers as hungry as the horses. "The poor fellows looked half-starved, lank as herrings, and barefoot. The Sisters were cutting bread all during
St. Joseph's Valley Camp Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, March 27, 2020
2. St. Joseph's Valley Camp Marker
the late afternoon and evening and were giving them bread to eat as fast as they came for it. I was afraid there would be no bread left for the Sisters' supper. However, there was."

[Caption:]
On July 1, 1863, Col. Régis de Trobriand used the Motherhouse belfry for surveillance.
 
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureAnimalsCharity & Public WorkChurches & ReligionWar, US CivilWomen. In addition, it is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails series list.
 
Location. 39° 41.931′ N, 77° 19.648′ W. Marker is in Emmitsburg, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker can be reached from South Seton Avenue (Business U.S. 15) 1.7 miles north of Catoctin Mountain Highway (U.S. 15), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 339 South Seton Avenue, Emmitsburg MD 21727, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gen. John F. Reynolds (a few steps from this marker); Daughters of Charity (a few steps from this marker); The First Statue of Mother Seton Erected in the United States (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stone House
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bells of St. Joseph's Valley (about 700 feet away); Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul of New York (about 700 feet away); Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton (1774-1821) (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Daughters of Charity (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Emmitsburg.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker replaces the linked marker.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 70 times since then. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 27, 2021