Greensboro in Greene County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Bishop George Foster Pierce
He was in 1834 the first president of Wesleyan College, also editor of the “Southern Ladies’ Book”, then president of Emory (1848-1854). In 1844 at the New York Conference he defended Bishop Andrew as a slaveholder; and in 1845 at Louisville, Kentucky he helped organized the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Elected Bishop in Columbus, Georgia, 1854.
He was without a peer as an orator. As a Methodist Bishop, he suffered with his people the hardships of the Civil War. He died in 1884 in Sparta and is buried there.
Erected by The United Methodist Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic Agriculture • Churches & Religion • Communications. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1911.
Location. 33° 34.554′ N, 83° 11.064′ W. Marker is in Greensboro, Georgia, in Greene County. Marker is on West Broad Street (U.S. 278) 0 miles west of South West Street, on the right when traveling east. The marker is in front of the First United Methodist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 202 West Broad Street, Greensboro GA 30642, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Burning of Greensborough (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Greene County (about 600 feet away); First Commissioner of Agriculture (about 700 feet away); William C. Dawson (about 700 feet away); Greensboro Auditorium (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Greene County "Gaol" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sheriff L. L. Wyatt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Episcopal Church of The Redeemer (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Greensboro.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 16, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 27, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,087 times since then and 66 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on December 27, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?