Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nashville in Davidson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Centenary United Methodist Church / Rev. William Gower (1776-1851)

 
 
Centenary United Methodist Church side of the marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 28, 2020
1. Centenary United Methodist Church side of the marker
Inscription.  
Centenary United Methodist Church
Rev. William Gower built the first Gower's Chapel on his farm in 1805. A larger chapel, erected in 1850 on Gower land, also served as the local schoolhouse. On Oct. 5, 1884, the newly named Centenary Methodist Church was dedicated by Bishop Holland McTyeire. In 1922, the church relocated again. The new building was destroyed by a tornado on March 11, 1923, but was rebuilt within the year. Centenary United Methodist Church continues to worship at the same location on Gower Rd.

Rev. William Gower
(1776-1851)
On April 24, 1780, William Gower, age 3½, arrived with his family at the Bluffs settlements, now Nashville. In 1800 he settled near Overall Creek and in 1802 married Charlotte Garland. They had fifteen children, many of whom became prominent community leaders. A Methodist minister for over a half century, William founded Gower's Chapel on his own farmland. Gower Cemetery was established in 1816, with the burial of William's mother, Obedience Blakeley Gower.
 
Erected 2018 by The Historical Commission
Rev. William Gower side of the marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 28, 2020
2. Rev. William Gower side of the marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County. (Marker Number 178.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee, The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 11, 1923.
 
Location. 36° 7.608′ N, 86° 55.922′ W. Marker is in Nashville, Tennessee, in Davidson County. Marker is on Gower Road 0.1 miles north of Hickory Trail Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6801 Gower Rd, Nashville TN 37209, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tolbert Hollow (approx. 1˝ miles away); Richland (approx. 2.6 miles away); Mark Robertson Cockrill (approx. 2.9 miles away); Hill Forest (approx. 3.6 miles away); West Meade (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Myhr House (approx. 3.8 miles away); The Belle Meade Railway Station (approx. 3.9 miles away); Newsom's Mill (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Nashville.
 
Centenary United Methodist Church side of marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 28, 2020
3. Centenary United Methodist Church side of marker
Rev. William Gower side of marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 28, 2020
4. Rev. William Gower side of marker
Centenary United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, March 28, 2020
5. Centenary United Methodist Church
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 77 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 31, 2020, by Duane Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=147425

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021