Tahawus in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Original Owner: Walter Jennings
The only cottage built on the east shore of the Hudson, the cottage was accessed by a footbridge across the river, the abutments are still visible on the river banks. Later Club Era occupants were Marshall Geer, and Bayard Rives.
Historical information is from "Documentation Report: Upper Works, Adirondack Iron and Steel Company, Newcomb, Essex County, New York,” by Wesley Haynes.
This site has been occupied by structures serving different purposes since an iron mining operation started in the early 1800s. Most recently, the buildings housed workers from the titanium mine just to the south. The miners' residences were remodeled camps built by Tahawus Club members between the late 1890s and the 1930s. The buildings were abandoned in the early 1960s and have deteriorated or been removed since then. This artist's rendering shows what the buildings might have looked like when last occupied. 'Ghosted' images are the durable stone, concrete, and brick elements that remain following deterioration or demolition, shown as they were situated
Erected by Open Space Institute.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 44° 5.269′ N, 74° 3.343′ W. Marker is in Tahawus, New York, in Essex County. Marker is on Upper Works Road (County Route 25) 9.8 miles north of Blue Ridge Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newcomb NY 12879, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. W.R.K. Taylor Jr. (a few steps from this marker); From Rock to Iron (within shouting distance of this marker); The Money Men (within shouting distance of this marker); Transportation (within shouting distance of this marker); Lazy Lodge (within shouting distance of this marker); Taming the Wilderness (within shouting distance of this marker); Three Communities (within shouting distance of this marker); Abbott/Lockwood (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tahawus.
More about this marker.
Illustration notes special features about the site:
• Abutments that supported former foot bridge remain.
• This outbuilding, possibly a studio, connected to the main house by a covered walkway,
between 1906 and 1926.
• This portion of the foundation appears to be a remnant of the Iron Era, possibly from an early bloomery forge.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 97 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 31, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.