Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Idabel in McCurtain County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
 

Miller Courthouse

 
 
Miller Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
1. Miller Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  To the southwest near Red River stood Miller Courthouse, county seat of Old Miller County, Arkansas Territory 1820-1828. First post office established there Sept. 7, 1824, J. H. Fowler, postmaster. Claiborne Wright, prominent settlement leader, served as sheriff and member territorial council. His “place” was site of first court held in Old Miller Co. Courthouse was later built nearby. County abolished Oct. 1828 after land ceded to Choctaw Nation. White settlers removed to make way for Choctaws upon removal from Mississippi. Courthouse and post office burned Nov. 1828.
 
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 704.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 7, 1824.
 
Location. 33° 52.863′ N, 94° 49.818′ W. Marker is in Idabel, Oklahoma, in McCurtain County. Marker is on West Lincoln Road (Bypass U.S. 70) 0.2 miles west of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
South Central Avenue (U.S. 259), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Idabel OK 74745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. We Served Proudly (approx. 1.1 miles away); Operation Desert Shield/Storm Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Military Road - Choctaw Trail of Tears (approx. 11.4 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia article on the Miller Court House. (Submitted on April 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Miller Courthouse Marker looking west on U.S 70 Bypass. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
2. Miller Courthouse Marker looking west on U.S 70 Bypass.
Miller Courthouse Marker looking east on U.S. 70 Bypass. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, October 21, 2019
3. Miller Courthouse Marker looking east on U.S. 70 Bypass.
In the foreground can be see the base of the broken "Shawneetown" marker (#207).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 1, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 1, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=147470

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024