Northville in Fulton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Fry Block
— 1860 Henry Scidmore Jewelry and Watch Repair —
It is believed that Mr. Carl L. Fry bought the building from the estate of Scidmore for his insurance business.
William H. Fry inherited his father's insurance business.
Other Businesses that have occupied this building:
Carl Fry Insurance • Sacandaga Press • John P. Gruet Printing • Resseguie Feed Store • O. A. Harrington Jewelry Store • Delgado's Millinery • Daniel Taylor's Newsroom and Bicycle Shop • Abner's Pool Room • Oneida Market • Charlie Berry's Poolroom • Loren Crannell's Meat and Grocery Store • Hugh Barker's Electric Shop • Roy Cruikshank's Hardware • Flewelling's Brass Rail Restaurant • Frank Bendl's Brass Rail • Michael Lastro Brass Rail • Christopher Ward Brass Rail • Black Bear Restaurant • Timeless Tavern
Erected by Northville-Northampton Historical Society. (Marker Number 4.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 43° 13.537′ N, 74° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 162 South Main Street, Northville NY 12134, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James A. Cole Block (a few steps from this marker); 5 & 10 Cent Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Northville War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee Anibal's Law Office (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); William F. Barker House (about 500 feet away); Chimney Swifts of Northville, New York (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Ray Hubbell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Early Settler (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northville.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Northville Historical Walking Tour
Also see . . . Northville Historical Walking Tour. The first permanent settlement took place in the late 1780’s. Main Street was surveyed and laid out in 1797. In 1807 only six families lived along Main Street. The village was incorporated in 1873. During the latter half of the nineteenth century, the lumber industry created a boomtown with milling, cooperage, tanning and (Submitted on April 6, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 5, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 45 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on April 5, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 6, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.