Glens Falls in Warren County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The DeLong House
Glens Falls, located on the Hudson River where it exited the Adirondack Mountains, prospered in the mid-19th century. Its sawmills produced much of the country’s lumber, and canal boats carried locally manufactured lime, marble and paper to New York City and other eastern markets. On their return trip the boats brought goods desired by Glens Falls citizens eager to achieve a more comfortable lifestyle.
Catherine and Zopher’s two eldest sons had preceded them to Glens Falls to find employment in the hardware store of Daniel peck. When he arrived, Zopher also joined the business, which he later acquired and renamed “DeLong & Son.” In 1864, a devastating fire destroyed much of the downtown area including the hardware store. However, Zopher reopened quickly and experienced financial
To reflect their new prosperity, Zopher and Catherine decided to expand and remodel their Glen Street home. Perhaps mindful of the recent fire, they constructed the two story addition of brick. Built in the popular Second Empire style, the house features a Mansard roof. Also notable are the cast iron widow moldings and brackets under the eaves, typical of the equally popular Italianate style.
Today the Delong house informs us about life in Glens Falls from the early 1860s to the early 20th century. During that forty year span the DeLong family experienced both the technological changes (from the coming of the railroad to the introduction of electricity) that transformed their lifestyles and the accompanying societal changes that shaped their community.
Erected in memory of Virginia O. Abbe, museum trustee and benefactor, who championed the restoration and interpretation of the DeLong House.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1860.
Location. 43° 18.693′ N, 73° 38.938′ W. Marker is in Glens Falls, New York, in Warren County. Marker is on Glen Street near Bacon Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 348 Glen St, Glens Falls NY 12801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking The Church of the Messiah (Episcopal) (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church of Glens Falls (about 600 feet away); Civil War Monument (about 700 feet away); History of Crandell Public Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); “The Spirit of Glens Falls” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tree of Friendship (approx. 0.2 miles away); Glens Falls War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); City Park’s Development (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glens Falls.
More about this marker. On the grounds of The Chapman Museum.
Also see . . . Zopher Delong House (Wikipedia). (Submitted on April 11, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 11, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 9, 2020, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.