Cleveland in Cuyahoga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Industrial River Valley
The first Cleveland settlers initially settled near the mouth of the Cuyahoga River in the present-day Flats, but moved to higher ground to the current site of Downtown Cleveland due to flooding and weather conditions
However, the area thrived as an industrial center, as Cleveland depended heavily on the waters of Lake Erie and the Cuyahoga River to carry raw materials into industries located in the valley, and then in turn to ship finished goods to other parts of the country. A high percentage of Clevelanders in the 1930's were employed in industry - second only to Detroit. In fact, industrial training was even provided at all levels of public school.
Factories in the Industrial Valley included:
Iron & steel foundries
Soap & candle works
Sulfur & other industrial chemical refineries
Medical equipment manufacturers
Water-based transportation has been integral to Cleveland's position in the world as a manufacturing hub.
The mouth of the Cuyahoga River was originally located about 4,000 feet weat of the present location. To reduce the number of bends for river traffic, a new mouth was dug in 1827, and widened in 1898. Relocating the Cuyahoga's mouth also created Whiskey Island.
In addition to Lake Erie and the Cuyahoga River, key waterways throughout the nation have extended the reach of Cleveland industry. The construction of the Ohio & Erie Canal from 1825 to 1832 connected Cleveland and Lake Erie to the Gulf of Mexico by means of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. This canal afforded Cleveland's industries access to markets to the south, thus expanding their ability to ship manufactured products farther and faster. Likewise, in the mid-1900's, the completion of the Saint Lawrence Seaway opened Cleveland's Industrial Valley to the Atlantic Ocean.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1846.
Location. 41° 29.092′ N, 81° 41.571′ W. Marker is in Cleveland, Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Marker can be reached from Abbey Avenue just west of West 14th Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is behind the Cleveland script sign in the Tremont neighborhood. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1502 Abbey Ave, Cleveland OH 44113, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cleveland Skyline (a few steps from this marker); Three Generations of Bridges (within shouting distance of this marker); Camp Cleveland (approx. Ό mile away); Market Square (approx. 0.6 miles away); John W. Heisman Birth Site (approx. Ύ mile away); Saint Ignatius High School (approx. Ύ mile away); Ohio City / Monroe Street Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Welcome to Monroe Street Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleveland.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.