Glen Carbon in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
These grounds surrounding it were the scene of many early camp meetings and frontier revivals. In later years the church burned and was not rebuilt but by then it had served as mother church of congregations at Cedar Grove, Ebenezer, Salem at Wanda, and St. John's at Edwardsville, to which the Bethel congregation moved after the fire.
This stone is a memorial to those pioneers through whose vision and sacrifice the Methodist church was founded in Illinois.
Bethel Meeting House
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1805.
Location. 38° 46.179′ N, 89° 57.933′ W. Marker is in Glen Carbon, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Glen Carbon Road and Lakewood Drive, on the right when traveling west on Glen Carbon Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 Glen Carbon Rd, Glen Carbon IL 62034, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other A-7E Corsair II (approx. one mile away); Goshen Road Terminus (approx. 1.2 miles away); Dr. Nick Holonyak, Jr. Way (approx. 1.4 miles away); Yanda Log Cabin (approx. 1˝ miles away); Village Hall & Firehouse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Railroads (approx. 1.7 miles away); Churches (approx. 1.7 miles away); Glen Carbon (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Glen Carbon.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 9, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.