Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orangeville in Emery County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

First Public Building in Orangeville

 
 
First Public Building in Orangeville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 30, 2018
1. First Public Building in Orangeville Marker
Inscription.  On this site in December 1880, a primitive meeting house was built - a log building which served the community for church, school, dramatic and recreational purposes. Orangeville had been a part of Castle Dale, but in 1882 it was organized as a Ward and named Orangeville for Orange Seeley, a prominent colonizer of Castle Valley. The first Bishop was Jasper Robertson; first school teacher and musical director, Samuel R. Jewkes; first dramatic and social leader, John. K. Reid.
 
Erected 1947 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Rock Canyon Trail Camp. (Marker Number 111.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is December 1880.
 
Location. 39° 13.657′ N, 111° 3.314′ W. Marker is in Orangeville, Utah, in Emery County. Marker is at the intersection of West Center Street and South 100 West, on the left when traveling west on West Center Street. Marker is on the southwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orangeville UT 84537, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
First Public Building in Orangeville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, September 30, 2018
2. First Public Building in Orangeville Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Social Hall (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Settlers in Castle Dale (approx. 2˝ miles away); Old Ranger Station (approx. 8.4 miles away); Old Bell (approx. 8.4 miles away); Huntington's First Meeting House (approx. 8.4 miles away); North Emery High School (approx. 8.4 miles away); Robber's Roost (approx. 10.2 miles away); Hiawatha (approx. 10.2 miles away).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=147919

Paid Advertisement
May. 6, 2021