Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Huntington in Emery County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Huntington's First Meeting House

 
 
Huntington's First Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 30, 2018
1. Huntington's First Meeting House Marker
Inscription.  January, 1879, Orange Seeley, Presiding Valley Bishop, appointed Elias Cox to preside over the Latter Day Saints who had settled on Huntington Creek. In October a ward was organized. Logs were hauled from the canyon and a meeting house erected by: Benjamin Jones, Sr., John F. Wakefield, W. Albert Guymon, Sr., Walsh Caldwell, William Avery, Milas E. and Joseph E. Johnson, Albey W. Sherman, Jr., David Cheney, John Wimmer and others. The building was 40X60, feet split shingle roof, lumber floor and benches of split logs. It was dedicated December, 1880, and served the community for church, school, and recreation. The building was destroyed by fire in 1918.
 
Erected 1962 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Huntington Camp. (Marker Number 274.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1879.
 
Location. 39° 19.595′ N, 110° 57.885′ W. Marker is in Huntington, Utah, in Emery County. Marker is
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
at the intersection of Main Street and Center Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Marker is on the northwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntington UT 84528, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. North Emery High School (here, next to this marker); Old Bell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Ranger Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robber's Roost (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hiawatha (approx. 1.8 miles away); Desert Lake-Victor (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mohrland (approx. 1.8 miles away); Wattis (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntington.
 
Huntington's First Meeting House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 30, 2018
2. Huntington's First Meeting House Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 158 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=147922

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024