Huntington in Emery County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
North Emery High School
1923 – 1962
By 1931 the HHS enrollment had reached 231. The school moved into a larger building originally constructed in 1923 for the Huntington Elementary on the west side of Main Street at Center Street. In February 1934 the students voted to change the name to North Emery High School. NEHS classes continued to use the gymnasium, auditorium in the original building. A manual arts building was erected in 1936. In 1952 the LDS meetinghouse adjacent to the school was converted to an auditorium and assembly hall. In the face of declining enrollments,
During its' 47 year history the halls of NEHS echoed to the footsteps of 16 principals, more than 100 teachers, and more than 2,000 students. The academic and practical education provided by the school prepared students for responsible citizenship and productive lives in the community, state, and nation The athletic, musical, dramatic, social, and other activities not only enriched the lives of the students but formed a center of interest for the entire northern Emery County community. Grateful North Emery Alumni have erected this monument to honor the school we loved so well.
Erected 2005 by North Emery High School Alumni.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1934.
Location. 39° 19.599′ N, 110° 57.886′ W. Marker is in Huntington, Utah, in Emery County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Center Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Marker is on the northwest corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Huntington UT 84528, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Huntington's First Meeting House (here, next to this marker); Old Bell Old Ranger Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robber's Roost (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hiawatha (approx. 1.8 miles away); Desert Lake-Victor (approx. 1.8 miles away); Mohrland (approx. 1.8 miles away); Cleveland (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Huntington.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 45 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.