Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Davilla in Milam County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Davilla Baptist Church

 
 
Davilla Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 3, 2018
1. Davilla Baptist Church Marker
Inscription.  

A Presbytery consisting of W. Beasley, L. Williams, P. T. Corneal, and E. Allison met at Mumford Springs, Milam County, Texas (present day Davilla) to organize Bethlehem Missionary Baptist Church in 1866. From 1868 to 1870 the congregation held services in the Davilla Methodist Church building.

In 1870 the congregation purchased a town lot here in Davilla where they constructed a sanctuary in 1871. The congregation was subsequently renamed the Baptist Church of Christ at Davilla, Texas. Early baptisms took place in several nearby creeks. People from the area west of Davilla and others converted by evangelist Elder Penn joined the congregation in the late 1870s. Church records indicate that the congregation has been referred to as Davilla Baptist Church since 1904.

For many years a tabernacle adjacent to the church building was used by various local denominations for summer revivals. A baptistry was installed in the sanctuary in 1955. On February 16, 1992, the congregation held their last Sunday School and church services in the original 1871 church building and later that year a new sanctuary was completed at this
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
site. The church continues to provide religious instruction and serve the community with various programs and activities.

Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845-1995
 
Erected 1994 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 7942.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 30° 47.027′ N, 97° 16.444′ W. Marker is in Davilla, Texas, in Milam County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 487, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20834 N FM 487, Davilla TX 76523, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Donahoe Community (approx. 4.1 miles away); Friendship Community (approx. 5.3 miles away); Sharp Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Sharp (approx. 7.4 miles away); Sharp General Store (approx. 7.4 miles away); San Gabriel Christian Church (approx. 7.7 miles away); William Persky (approx. 8.4 miles away); Sharp Cemetery (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
Davilla Baptist Church Marker and building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, September 3, 2018
2. Davilla Baptist Church Marker and building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2020, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 10, 2020, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=147942

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024