Guilford in Piscataquis County, Maine — The American Northeast (New England)
The third Low's Covered Bridge, rebuilt in 1857, spanned 130 feet across the beautiful Piscataquis River and by modern standards was one lane wide. The foundation and approach to the bridge were constructed by Isaac Wharff who hauled the granite more than 7 miles by oxen team from Guilford Mountain. The bridge carpenter, Leonard Knowlton, used a patented Long-truss design which used mathematical calculations to develop a truss that looks like the letter X. This bridge lasted 130 years until a major flood on April 1, 1987 destroyed it.
Plans to rebuild this treasured landmark, a tribute to early engineering ingenuity, began as soon as the flood-waters receded. Structural engineers, Ryan-Biggs Associates of New York designed a bridge that replicated the original as closely as possible and strengthened
• A view reminiscent of days gone by as you travel through Low’s Covered bridge. Credit: Stan Higgins
• As the flood waters of ’87 raged the historic bridge was forced from its long standing foundation. Credit: Dwinal D. Hall, c 1987
• The mighty Piscataquis would not give up until the bridge was battered and broken and lay upon the banks, its beauty unrecognizable. Credit: Dwinal D. Hall, c 1987
• During the construction of Low’s Bridge an impressive skeleton frame was erected to span the Piscataquis River. Credit: Roger Willis
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Disasters • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1830.
Location. 45° 10.53′ N, 69° 18.903′ W. Marker is in Guilford, Maine, in Piscataquis County. Marker is at the intersection of Lowe's Bridge Road and Water Street (State Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Guilford ME 04443, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regarding Low's Bridge. Also known as "Lowe's Bridge," and "Guilford Covered Bridge."
Also see . . . Lowes Bridge, Guilford-Sangerville, Maine. A modern covered bridge, patterned after the original, was built on the original abutments in 1990. The replacement was built to have a larger load-capacity and was raised in order to prevent future flood damage. (Submitted on April 12, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 11, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 314 times since then and 118 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 12, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.