Near Salem in Roanoke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Colonial Mansion Site
Erected 1927 by Conservation and Development Commission. (Marker Number K-74.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1742.
Location. 37° 16.757′ N, 80° 7.261′ W. Marker is near Salem, Virginia, in Roanoke County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 11) and Hawley Drive, on the right when traveling north on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salem VA 24153, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Lewis (within shouting distance of this marker); 9-11-2001 Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Roanoke College (approx. 1˝ miles away); Roanoke County Confederate Monument (approx. 3.8 miles away); World War 1917 - 1919 MemorialEast Hill Cemetery North (approx. 4 miles away); Sgt. James Walton (approx. 4.1 miles away); Andrew Lewis’ Grave (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Salem.
Also see . . . History of Roanoke County - Fort Lewis. From the book History of Roanoke County by George S. Jack, published in 1912. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,482 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 28, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Pictures of Fort Lewis ruins, if they exist. • Can you help?