Sacramento in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of First and Second State Capitols at Sacramento
Sacramento’s first county courthouse, formerly located on this site, served as California’s State Capitol from January 16, 1852 to May 4, 1852 for the third session of the legislature and from March 1, 1854 to May 15, 1854 for the fifth session. Destroyed by fire on July 13, 1854, it was rebuilt in less than six months. The second courthouse served as the Capitol from 1855 – 1869 when a transition began to the current Statehouse. A third courthouse occupied this site and remained until replaced by the County Jail in 1989.
Erected 2007 by California State Parks in cooperation with the Sacramento Trust for Historic Preservation, June 27, 2007. (Marker Number 869.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmark series list.
Location. 38° 34.957′ N, 121° 29.824′ W. Marker is in Sacramento, California Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 651 I Street, Sacramento CA 95814, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Folsom Powerhouse (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); United States Post Office, Courthouse, & Federal Building (about 500 feet away); Pioneer Hall (about 600 feet away); Sacramento Pioneers Society (about 600 feet away); Site of First African Methodist Episcopal Church on the Pacific Coast (about 700 feet away); Sa’ Cumn’e Plaza (approx. 0.2 miles away); A. J. Stevens Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Central Pacific’s Other Big Four (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sacramento.
Regarding Site of First and Second State Capitols at Sacramento. This site was designated as California Registered Historical Landmark No.869 on January 11, 1974.
Also see . . . Sacramento County Courthouse – Built 1910. (Submitted on December 28, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 7, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 28, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,215 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 28, 2008, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. 4. submitted on March 15, 2009, by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.