Garland in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Public Education in Garland
With origins in the rural Duck Creek School, the first school in Garland opened soon after the community's establishment in 1887. Students and teachers met in temporary space until the first permanent building was erected three years later. Garland College, as the school was known, was a subscription school, charging tuition for its educational services.
In 1901, Garland voters elected to incorporate as an independent school district, which gave them authority to levy taxes for school improvements. The first classes began in September 1901 in the Garland College building with an enrollment of 130 students. Interscholastic football was introduced in 1906, and the first parent- teacher association formed in 1922. Facilities were remodeled and expanded over the years as needed to accommodate a growing population.
Garland ISD opened its first school for African-American children in 1922-23. Carver School served students in grades one through eight; high school students had to travel to Dallas to complete their education. Integration of the schools began in 1964 and was completed by 1970.
As the Garland area became
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12618.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
Location. 32° 54.662′ N, 96° 38.498′ W. Marker is in Garland, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on 9th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 221 South 9th Street, Garland TX 75040, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Methodist Church of Garland (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Presbyterian Church, USA (about 400 feet away); First Christian Church of Garland (about 500 feet away); Travis College Hill Addition (about 700 feet away); First Baptist Church of Garland (about 700 feet away); Garland (approx. ¼ mile away); Bankhead Highway in Garland (approx. ¼ mile away); Roach Feed & Seed Co. (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Garland.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 138 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 13, 2020, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.