Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Price in Carbon County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Carbon Tabernacle

 
 
Carbon Tabernacle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 30, 2018
1. Carbon Tabernacle Marker
Inscription.  On this site was located the Carbon Tabernacle, a landmark and center place of worship from 1914 to 1961 for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

For 47 years the Tabernacle served as the Carbon and North Carbon Stake Center, the ward meetinghouse for Price First and Second Wards and the scene of many civic, political, graduations and recreational programs.

With the completion of the basement on March 14, 1914, the quarterly two-day conference for Carbon Stake was held. The last meeting was held June 4, 1961.

Designed by Miles E. Miller, a young Salt Lake City architect, at an estimated cost of $35,000. Ground breaking for the Tabernacle took place August 28, 1911. The dimensions of the two-story structure were a hundred-fifteen feet long, sixty-six feet wide and thirty-two feet high, with a tower at the northwest corner. The foundation was of reinforced concrete, the walls were of white enamel pressed cement bricks layed with black mortar and trimmed with white stone. On the main floor was a large auditorium furnished with oak pews to seat a thousand persons. It housed one of the largest
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and best toned pipe organs in the state. At the north of the auditorium was a large Relief Society room with adjoining classrooms. On the second floor was a balcony that oversaw the main meeting hall, five classrooms and two other classrooms in the tower. In the basement was a large amusement hall, dance floor, stage, dressing rooms and baptismal font.

After twelve years of construction, and at a final cost of $100,046.62, the building was dedicated July 1, 1923, a tribute to the contributions of labor and dollars of the L.D.S. people and their friends of Carbon County.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is March 14, 1914.
 
Location. 39° 35.983′ N, 110° 48.512′ W. Marker is in Price, Utah, in Carbon County. Marker is on East Main Street east of North 100 East, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Price UT 84501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Meeting House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Price Municipal Building (about 300 feet away); Harding School (about 500 feet away); Star Theatre (about 600 feet away); Assumption Greek Orthodox Church (about 600 feet away); Notre Dame de Lourdes Catholic Church
Carbon Tabernacle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 30, 2018
2. Carbon Tabernacle Marker
(approx. ¼ mile away); Pioneer Women (approx. 0.6 miles away); Grames Cabin (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Price.
 
Carbon Tabernacle Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, September 30, 2018
3. Carbon Tabernacle Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=148112

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024