Hanging Rock in Roanoke County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
George Morgan Jones
George Morgan Jones
Citizen - Soldier
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • War, US Civil.
Location. 37° 19.677′ N, 80° 2.419′ W. Marker is in Hanging Rock, Virginia, in Roanoke County. Marker is on Dutch Oven Road near North Electric Road (Virginia Route 419), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salem VA 24153, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle of Hanging Rock (here, next to this marker); United Daughters of the Confederacy Monuments (here, next to this marker); Hanging Rock Battlefield Trail (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Battle of Hanging Rock (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); McCausland Attacks (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Hanging Rock Coal Trestle (approx. 0.2 miles away); Two Future Presidents In Wartime Retreat (approx. Ό mile away); Hanging Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hanging Rock.
Regarding George Morgan Jones.
The sculpture appears to one of only two originals cast. The original locations for the two was in Lynchburg, Virginia; one at the old Jones Memorial Library and the other sited at Randolph-Macon Woman's College.
While it is unclear at this time as to which cast this one is, it is most likely the sculpture originally installed at the Jones Memorial Library. The Library, a gift to the city in Jones' memory, opened on July 3, 1908. The statue was relocated from the library steps to the terrace in 1924 when the library entrance was redesigned. The library moved in July 1987 to its current location at 2311 Memorial Avenue, Lynchburg Virginia 24501.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 29, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,696 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 29, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.