Sarasota in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Palm Tower
From livery stable, fish house and pool hall in the 1800’s to
Sarasota’s First “Skyscraper”
Construction began in 1924, was completed in 1925, expanding upwards from a 2-story boarding house to its current 7 stories, and appropriately named
This building functioned as a center for much of the social life of Sarasota, for both visitors and residents, until 1971 when the hotel was closed.
In 1974, Carl Shapiro saved this historic structure from the wrecking ball and converted it into executive offices.
Palm Tower continues to serve Sarasota’s downtown community in its current operation as an executive office building.
Bon Eau Enterprises acquired the building in 2005 and continues to upgrade and preserve this small piece of Sarasota’s past.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
Location. 27° 20.135′ N, 82° 32.612′ W. Marker is in Sarasota, Florida, in Sarasota Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1343 Main Street, Sarasota FL 34236, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. American National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Landing of the Scots (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sarasota War Memorial/The Doughboy (about 500 feet away); City of Sarasota (about 500 feet away); John D. MacDonald 1916-1986/John D. and the Friday Liars (about 500 feet away); Edwards Theatre 1926 (about 600 feet away); Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Paul N. Thorpe Jr. Park (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sarasota.
Regarding Historic Palm Tower. Today, the Palm Tower Building is a multi-story historic office building in the heart of downtown Sarasota’s business and entertainment district, walking distance to Sarasota Bay amenities and cultural district.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. This page has been viewed 48 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 15, 2020, by Brandon D Cross of Flagler Beach, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.