Spotsylvania Courthouse in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A Place Called "Courtland"
Spotsylvania Court House National Historic District
On April 14, 1839, John Pulliam, local farmer, wrote in his diary......"Agnes and myself went up to Lewis Rawlings to meeting, heard an excellent sermon by Reverend J. Cook, dined at Lewis Rawlings, came home."
In 1836, Samuel Alsop Jr. sold the "Tavern Tract" to Lewis Rawlings. Along the Tavern, came 1,034 acres and improvements, including a two story brick dwelling where Alsop had lived with his family. The home built by Alsop at this site existed prior to 1836. Alsop served spirits, held horse races and entertained at the Tavern and home. Rawlings and his wife Hannah, devoutly religious, held church services at the home. Perhaps overwhelmed by the number of parishioners who showed up regularly on Sunday, he donated land a short distance away and helped built Christ Episcopal Church in 1842.
Lewis, Hannah and family would live here until 1852 when Joseph Sanford became the new owner. The home and 234 acres would pass to Phillip Anns in 1867. After Ann's death, the property would be sold by the County to Thomas Harris. In 1913, Harris separated the home from the Tavern and offered it for sale. C.
Capt. Jedediah Hotchkiss, C.S.A. drew this map of the battlefield showing the entrenchments near "Courtland."
This 1867 photo (left) shows "Courtland" as originally built with no porch at main entrance. Enlargement of main entrance below left shows a woman in black. This could be Phillip Anns's wife Lydia. Enlargement below right shows damage done to the house by Union Troops during the Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse in 1864.
The photo above shows the western side "Courtland" circa 1920.
Union soldier Leo Frankenstein produced this watercolor of "Courtland" and Sanford's Tavern in 1865.
Erected by Spotsylvania County Museum, County of Spotsylvania, Virginia.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Spotsylvania County Museum series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 14, 1839.
Location. 38° 12.106′ N, 77° 35.324′ W. Marker is in Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9107 Courthouse Rd, Spotsylvania VA 22553, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. In His Father's Footsteps (here, next to this marker); A Crime of Passion… A Devastating Loss… (here, next to this marker); Spotsylvania Court House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Spotsylvania Court House (a few steps from this marker); The House To Be Of Brick (a few steps from this marker); Spotsylvania County Honor Roll (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Spotsylvania (within shouting distance of this marker); Across the Years & $6,700 (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spotsylvania Courthouse.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.