Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Spotsylvania Courthouse in Spotsylvania County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

A Place of Public Worship

Christ Church Episcopal, Est. 1841

— Spotsylvania Court House National Historic District —

 
 
A Place of Public Worship Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), April 18, 2020
1. A Place of Public Worship Marker
Inscription.  
On July 20, 1841, John Pulliam, a Vestryman wrote in his diary...... "A warm day, this being the day set aside for the consecration of the church at Spotsylvania Courthouse, about nine o'clock. I started to church in the company of John Holladay, his wife and daughter, and William Holladay, who called a short time later and took Agness in his carriage."

Prior to March of 1839, Lewis Rawlings, who owned the adjacent tavern, erected a small brick building to be used as a place of public worship. The bricks came from a field near Stapleton Crutchfield's old tanyard on the road to Snell. On February 3rd, 1842, he sold the brick building and an acre of land, for the sum of $10 to a group of trustees for a new church called Christ Episcopal Church. The Trustees at the time were leading citizens of the area.

The Trustees in 1842 consisted of:
Gabriel Long, Planter & Surveyor
James C. Heart, Planter
William Holladay, Planter
Byrd C. Leavell, Planter & Mill Owner
Thomas W. Anderson, Planter
William P. Goodwin, Planter & Merchant
James R. Pulliam, Doctor & Planter

The
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
church still has nine over nine double sash windows and remnants of the tiebacks for the shutters no longer present.

The small brick building was constructed in the Flemish Bond pattern of the late Federal style and had a gabled roof.

The original deed reveals that Rawlings wrote the document, as the writing matches his signature.

The congregations most valued possession is the 1754 "Mattaponi" pulpit bible.

The simple wooden pews inside bring remembrance as well as a place to hear the message.

In 1987, the church was enlarged to meet its growing congregation.
 
Erected 2017 by Spotsylvania County Museum, County of Spotsylvania, Virginia.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Spotsylvania County Museum series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 3, 1842.
 
Location. 38° 11.988′ N, 77° 35.282′ W. Marker is in Spotsylvania Courthouse, Virginia, in Spotsylvania County. Marker is on Courthouse Road (Virginia Route 208) 0.1 miles east of Judicial Center Lane (County Road 631), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 8920 Courthouse Rd, Spotsylvania VA 22553, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
A Place of Public Worship Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), April 18, 2020
2. A Place of Public Worship Marker
of this marker. Sadly in Need… (a few steps from this marker); Ashes to Ashes (within shouting distance of this marker); Booth Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Berea Christian Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Amid Shot and Shell (about 300 feet away); A Case of Negligence (about 500 feet away); Modification, Decay & Preservation (about 500 feet away); Turning the Pages of Time (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spotsylvania Courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 115 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 19, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=148420

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024