Mapleton in Utah County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Site of First Mapleton Meeting House
The first building, costing approximately $3,500, was started in 1889 under the direction of the building committee – Lorenzo Whiting, L.J. Whitney, and Charles M. Bird. It was made of light-red bricks with walls 12- to 14- inches thick. The building measured 58 by 30 feet. There was a large central room with tall, cathedral-style windows; colored glass at the top of the windows reflected beautiful colors onto the floor. The handmade, high-backed benches and pulpit were made of pine. The benches were removable so that the floor could be cleared for dances and other socials. A large stove was in the center of the room, with supplemental heating from a small stove near the rostrum. The central room could be divided into Sunday School rooms by pulling heavy curtains
Around the turn of the century, the building survived what could have been a disastrous fire. A bucket brigade quickly put out the fire in the attic.
the original meeting house was dedicated on April 30, 1899, and served the people until 1936 when it was razed and the present meeting house built. The second meeting house was dedicated on April 28, 1941.
Erected 1999 by Daughter of Utah Pioneers, Camp Union, Camp Maple Mountain. (Marker Number 515.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 30, 1899.
Location. 40° 7.814′ N, 111° 34.76′ W. Marker is in Mapleton, Utah, in Utah County. Marker is on West Maple Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 West Maple Street, Mapleton UT 84664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roswell Darius Bird, Sr. House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Levi Kendall's Home (about 500 feet away); Springville High School Art GallerySpringville Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Caffrey & Davis Furniture Company / Senior Hotel (approx. 2.8 miles away); Dominguez y Escalante Expedition (approx. 3.1 miles away); Nephi & Annie Kindred House (approx. 3.1 miles away); Springville's First Camp Site (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mapleton.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 40 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.