Farmers Branch in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch
Thomas and Sarah Keenan settled in Farmers Branch in 1842. They established a family cemetery when they buried their infant son on this site the following year. With the Rev. David Myers, the Keenans organized the Union Baptist Church in 1846, meeting in a structure on cemetery property. That group of Baptists moved to nearby Carrollton; in 1870, in order to reestablish Baptist worship in Farmers Branch, twelve members of the Union Baptist Church organized the Farmers Branch Missionary Baptist Church. Services were first held in the Farmers Branch School, which was probably located about two miles east of the cemetery. The first pastor was the Rev. George W. Good, whose parents had settled in the area many years before. By 1877, church membership had grown to 96. Deed records indicate that ownership of the property on this site was transferred from Thomas Keenan to trustees of the Farmers Branch Missionary Baptist Church in 1893.
The congregation grew steadily, and many changes took place after 1930. In 1931 a new church building was erected, and another addition was made in 1944. The name of the church was changed to First
The First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch supports such organizations as the Woman's Missionary Union and the Brotherhood Program. The church follows in the traditions of its ancestors through domestic and foreign mission work, community service, religious education and worship.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11822.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 55.382′ N, 96° 53.616′ W. Marker is in Farmers Branch, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on William Dodson Parkway near Pepperwood Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 13017 William Dodson Parkway, Dallas TX 75234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Texian Land and Emigration Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Dallas County's First Methodist Society (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Keenan CemeteryJohn Keenan (about 400 feet away); David Myers (about 500 feet away); Bill and Maude Dodson House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gilbert House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Webb Chapel Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Farmers Branch.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.