Richardson in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Richardson
Organized on August 21, 1870, by the Rev. George L. Blewett (1821-1884) and twenty charter members, this church began as the Trinity Congregation of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Early worship services were held in the home of George Henry Blewett (son of the congregation's founder), who also donated land for the congregation's first sanctuary, a one-room frame structure.
The church became known as the Richardson Presbyterian Church in 1909, and in 1910 relocated to a new sanctuary at Polk Street and Greenville Avenue. Additions were made to the building as the congregation grew, and in 1954 this site was acquired for a new church complex. A sanctuary completed in 1957 was replaced by a larger facility in 1988. Since 1983 the congregation has been known as First Presbyterian Church of Richardson.
Throughout its history this church has served the community with a variety of religious, educational, and outreach programs. A Sunday School program begun in 1880 has grown to serve church members of all ages. Outreach efforts include involvement in community projects such a blood drives, medical clinics, and food and
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6704.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 57.071′ N, 96° 43.611′ W. Marker is in Richardson, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on La Salle Drive, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 271 Walton Street, Richardson TX 75081, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church Richardson (approx. half a mile away); Wheeler School (approx. half a mile away); Richardson (approx. 0.6 miles away); First Baptist Church of Richardson (approx. 0.8 miles away); McKamy Spring (approx. 0.8 miles away); Blewett Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Floyd Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Demonstration of the First Working Integrated Circuit (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richardson.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 71 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 20, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.