Richardson in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Kentuckian William J. (Uncle Billy) Wheeler came to this part of Texas soon after the end of the Civil War. In 1870 he deeded land to the Houston and Texas Central Railway for the townsite that became the city of Richardson and for the railroad right-of-way. In 1880 Wheeler provided a public school just northwest of this site for Richardson area children.
After the Wheeler schoolhouse burned in 1900, classes moved into a new, two-story, four-room structure on this site. By this time the Richardson Independent School District had been created.
In 1914 the frame schoolhouse was replaced with a two-story, red brick structure. The eight-room schoolhouse was staffed by five teachers. In 1927 two wings were added to house the increased enrollment brought about by the consolidation of the Richardson and Addison high schools.
Further consolidation of surrounding common school districts in the 1930s and a population boom in the 1950s expanded school enrollment and created the need for other facilities. The red brick schoolhouse served only elementary grades from 1952 until 1960, when it began to serve as the district
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6920.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 56.724′ N, 96° 43.946′ W. Marker is in Richardson, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on Greenville Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 S Greenville Avenue, Richardson TX 75081, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. McKamy Spring (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Richardson (approx. half a mile away); First United Methodist Church Richardson (approx. ¾ mile away); Richardson (approx. one mile away); First Baptist Church of Richardson (approx. 1.2 miles away); Blewett Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Floyd Pioneer Cemetery (approx. 1½ miles away); Demonstration of the First Working Integrated Circuit (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richardson.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 19, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 84 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 21, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.