Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Collinsville in Madison County, Illinois — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The 1937 Main Building

 
 
The 1937 Main Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, April 19, 2020
1. The 1937 Main Building Marker
Inscription.  
In October 15, 1915 the President of the Collinsville Study Club (now the Woman's Club) appointed a library project committee. The library opened its doors on August 26, 1916 with a single bookcase of some three or four shelves. The City Council of Collinsville on July 23, 1923 approved an ordinance providing tax support for the maintenance of the library by means of a 1.8-mil tax.

On August 1, 1923 the name of the Library was officially changed to Collinsville Memorial Public Library in memory of soldiers who fell in the late war as suggested by the Royal Purple Temperance and Library Society.

After numerous moves throughout the years the library purchased the Stephen W. Renfro house at 408 West Main Street on September 1, 1927 and at last the library had a home of its own.

The library turned the depression of the 1930s to its benefit by applying for and obtaining a federal public works project grant of $9,000 toward the erection of a new building. The City Council of Collinsville approved the additional funds required to complete the total cost of $22,392.

The two-story home at 408 West
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Main Street was razed and the central portion of the present colonial structure built on the site. Site clearing began on February 6, 1937. Horse-powered excavation began on February 24 and the first brick was laid March 19. The new Library was dedicated on August 15, 1937 in observation of the centennial of the platting of Collinsville in 1837. The next day the library was opened to public use.

On November 11, 1939 the Collinsville Memorial Library became a War Memorial when a bronze tablet of 15 who lost their lives in World War I was dedicated. On December 5, 1948 another bronze tablet with the names of 50 Collinsville men who lost their lives in World War II was dedicated. Later a Korean Conflict plaque was also added.
 
Erected 2015 by Collinsville Memorial Library.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkEducationWar, World I. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
 
Location. 38° 40.106′ N, 89° 59.42′ W. Marker is in Collinsville, Illinois, in Madison County. Marker is on West Main Street just east of North Guernsey Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is in front of Collinsville Memorial Public Library, which is also known as the Mississippi Valley District Library. Touch for map. Marker
The 1937 Main Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Jason Voigt, April 19, 2020
2. The 1937 Main Building Marker
In front of the library
is at or near this postal address: 408 W Main St, Collinsville IL 62234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Dorris Fountain (here, next to this marker); In Memoriam (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named In Memoriam (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named In Memoriam (a few steps from this marker); Pan (a few steps from this marker); The Magnolia Tree (a few steps from this marker); The 1960's Additions to the Library Building (a few steps from this marker); The 1986 Additions to the Library Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collinsville.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. This page has been viewed 127 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2020, by Jason Voigt of Glen Carbon, Illinois. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=148710

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024