Spanish Fork in Utah County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Leland has always been a highly productive irrigated agriculture area. Major crops have been barley, wheat, corn, sugar beets and alfalfa. Canning crops were peas, lima beans, and sweet corn. Beef and dairy cattle are the major livestock.
LDS Church records stated that it was originally the South Branch of Spanish Fork 2nd Ward and later the Riverside Branch, 2nd Ward. On April 29, 1900, LDS Apostle Reed Smoot officially organized a new ward. Those present selected the name "Leland", named after Leland Stanford, founder of Leland Stanford University. Membership of the new Leland Ward was 224.
Andrew Jensen, Church Historian, in 1900 recorded, Leland Ward consists of Latter-day Saints residing in a farming district lying southwest of Spanish Fork. The center of the ward or the place where Leland school house stands, is a certain point on the county road about 1/2 mile south of the Spanish Fork River
Nearly all of the inhabitants with in the limits of the ward are Latter-day Saints and meetings and Sunday School sessions are held in the district school house.
This monument was erected and dedicated as a special Sesquicentennial project in the year 1997 to honor the stalwart Leland Pioneer settlers, and recognize them for their endurance, hard work and perseverance in the settling of Leland.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is April 29, 1900.
Location. 40° 5.898′ N, 111° 40.89′ W. Marker is in Spanish Fork, Utah, in Utah County. Marker is on West 900 South 0.1 miles east of South 1700 West, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Spanish Fork UT 84660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Spanish Fork Indian Farm Reservation (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lake Shore Fort (approx. 1˝ miles away); Old PalmyraOld Fort (approx. 1.6 miles away); Escalante (approx. 1.6 miles away); Spanish Fork Grist Mills (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Lush Valley of the Timpanogotzis (approx. 1.6 miles away); Old Academy (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Spanish Fork.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 58 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 24, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.