Payson in Utah County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Samuel Douglass House
Utah Historic Site
Samuel Douglass was born in 1850 in Salt Lake City, moving to the Peteetneet community in 1863. He followed his father in the general merchandise business and served in several civic positions. He married Emma Jane Dixon in 1874 and was recognized as a successful businessman and supporter of important civic projects such as the Strawberry Valley Project. His house was wired for electricity in 1897 and was also among the first in the community to have running water installed in 1902. The architectural changes made to the house in 1912 reflected growing optimism in the area and incorporated the latest Bungalow and Arts and Crafts styles.
Erected 1993 by Division of State History.
Topics. This Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 40° 2.757′ N, 111° 43.953′ W. Marker is in Payson, Utah, in Utah County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 215 North Main Street, Payson UT 84651, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The John Dixon House (within shouting distance of this marker); N.W. Corner of Payson Pioneer Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away); N.E. Corner of Payson Pioneer Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away); Payson City Library (approx. 0.2 miles away); S.W. Corner of Payson Pioneer Fort (approx. 0.2 miles away); S.E. Corner of Payson Pioneer Fort (approx. ¼ mile away); Dominguez y Escalante Expedition (approx. 0.4 miles away); Payson's Pioneer Industry (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Payson.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 37 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 25, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.