Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kensington in Prince County, Prince Edward Island — The Atlantic Provinces (North America)
 

Built in 1960 by Montreal Locomotive Works

Construite en 1960 par Montreal Locomotive Works

— Kensington PEI Rail Depot —

 
 
Built in 1960 by Montreal Locomotive Works Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 17, 2019
1. Built in 1960 by Montreal Locomotive Works Marker
Inscription.  
English:
Built in 1960 by Montreal Locomotive Works…
…Engine 1762 was first put into service as Engine 3859 at the Montreal Yard Diesel Shop. When Canadian National began changing its entire line to diesel, the engine was refitted from a RS-18 to a MR-14-C and given its new number.

1762 weighs approximately 120 tonnes and is powered by a 12-cylinder 1800 hp diesel engine. As this type of engine was primarily used on Canada's east coast for freight and passenger runs, Engine 1762 was put into service in Moncton, New Brunswick in the mid-1960s. It made its last service run in June 1986.

Today, there are only two RSC-4 engines left in Canada; the other is at the New Brunswick Railway Museum. Engine 1762, its characteristic black, white and orange CN colour scheme now painted mostly black, has found renewed purpose as a highlight of the Kensington PEI Rail Depot.

Français:
Construite en 1960 par Montreal Locomotive Works…
… la locomotive 1762 fut d'abord mise en service avec le numéro 3859 à l'atelier de diésel de la cour de triage de Montréal. Quand le Canadien
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
National a décidé de convertir toute sa flotte au diésel, cette locomotive fut transformée du modèle RS-18 au MR-14-C et reçût un nouveau numéro.

La 1762 pèse environ 120 tonnes et dispose d'un moteur diésel de 12 cylindres produisant 1800 chevaux. Comme ce type de locomotive était principalement utilisé sur la côte est pour les convois de marchandises et de passagers, la locomotive 1762 est entrée en service à Moncton, au Nouveau-Brunswick, au milieu des années 1960. Elle a fait son dernier voyage de service en juin 1986.

On ne retrouve plus aujourd'hui que deux locomotives RSC-14 au Canada; l'autre se trouve au Musée du rail du Nouveau-Brunswick. La locomotive 1762, qui arborait le noir, le blanc et l'orangé caractéristiques du CN, est maintenant peinte surtout en noir et a trouvé une nouvelle utilité comme attraction au Dépôt ferroviaire de Kensington.
 
Erected by Prince Edward Island Museum & Heritage, and the Confederation Trail.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1960.
 
Location. 46° 26.214′ N, 63° 38.416′ W. Marker is in Kensington, Prince Edward Island, in Prince County. Marker can be reached from Imperial Street just north of Commercial Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker
Built in 1960 by Montreal Locomotive Works Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 17, 2019
2. Built in 1960 by Montreal Locomotive Works Marker
and subject locomotive are located along the Confederation Trail, near the former Kensington Railroad Depot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 29 Commercial Street, Kensington PE C0B 1M0, Canada. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Preserving Locomotive 1762 (a few steps from this marker); Engine 1762 relocated to Kensington (a few steps from this marker); Business and Agriculture (within shouting distance of this marker); The Age of Steam Becomes the Age of Diesel (within shouting distance of this marker); Farming Groups in Kensington (within shouting distance of this marker); The Early Days of Farm Equipment (within shouting distance of this marker); A World Leader in Silver Foxes (within shouting distance of this marker); Unique Architecture and Cultural Significance (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kensington.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Kensington PEI Rail Depot
 
Also see . . .  Diesels on Prince Edward Island. The MLW RSC-14 units served all through the Maritimes. The lower numbered units worked on PEI, and after abandonment of PEI's railway on December 31, 1989 they went to the mainland. The RSC-14s could be seen on branch lines in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and at least one unit (1787) was the standard-gauge switcher at
Engine 1762 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, July 17, 2019
3. Engine 1762
(related markers visible in foreground)
Port aux Basques, Newfoundland. The last RSC-14, CN 1786, was retired in May 1996. (Submitted on April 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 269 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2020, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=148806

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024