Old Chatham in Columbia County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Settled about 1756 as part of New Brittain, King's District. Known as Federal Stores after 1787; Chatham, 1820-1869.
Erected 1971 by Town of Chatham.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1756.
Location. 42° 26.458′ N, 73° 33.765′ W. Marker is in Old Chatham, New York, in Columbia County. Marker is at the intersection of Albany Turnpike and County Route 13, on the left when traveling east on Albany Turnpike. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Old Chatham NY 12136, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Columbia Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Founded 1782 (approx. 1.8 miles away); Abraham Van Ness (approx. 2.1 miles away); a different marker also named Abraham Van Ness (approx. 2.1 miles away); Riders Mills Schoolhouse (approx. 2.3 miles away); Van Alstyne House (approx. 3.4 miles away); New Concord (approx. 3˝ miles away); North Chatham Depot (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Old Chatham, New York (Wikipedia). (Submitted on April 27, 2020, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 27, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. 2, 3. submitted on April 26, 2020, by Steve Stoessel of Niskayuna, New York. • Michael Herrick was the editor who published this page.