Site of the Old Provo High School
August 20, 1912, the Board of Education agreed, "That a high school be established in Provo City." The so-called high school began with "one year" then "two years" and then more until it became a four year school. At the close of the school year of 1920-21, Provo graduated students from the public high school for the first time in the city's history. A high school yearbook of 1918 lists the names of eight students who were in the eleventh year. The ten-year period following the close of World War I, was a time when the high school grew rapidly. In the spring of 1924 there were 65 graduating students, and at the close of the school year of 1924-25, one hundred sixteen pupils graduated. By 1956 more than 1,000 students attended school at Provo High School. The last graduating class of 1956 had 336 students. More than thirty-five class groups emerged into life from this edifice.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is August 20, 1912.
Location. 40° 13.949′ N, 111° 39.852′ W. Marker is in Provo, Utah, in Utah County. Marker is at the intersection
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Provo's Liberty Bell (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brigham Young Academy (about 500 feet away); 110-120 West Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); 104 West Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); A Place of Gathering (approx. ¼ mile away); The Octogon House (approx. ¼ mile away); Provo Woolen Mills (approx. 0.3 miles away); Escalante Trail (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Provo.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 64 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2020, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.