Collierville in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Herman W. Cox, Jr.
Herman W. Cox, Jr., life long resident of Collierville, was a 1939 graduate of Collierville High School. He served as an elected leader of Collierville, first as alderman in 1959 and Mayor in 1975, retiring in 1999 after serving for 40 years. Mayor Cox, a man of deeply committed faith in God, was a member of the Collierville Methodist Church for 70 years, singing in the choir for over 55 years. He began working for his grandfather at McGinnis Oil Company on the Town Square when he was 16. He operated the business and served the community from his office there until his death in 2003.
He fought in World War II with the Army 81st infantry, Wildcat division, in the Pacific Theatre and was awarded the bronze star.
Under his leadership many quality of life improvements also became a reality; outstanding schools, recreation facilities, the Greenbelt, Harrell Theatre, Johnson and Suggs Park, and award-winning fire and police departments. During his tenure as Mayor, Collierville was the first town in Tennessee to man fire trucks with paramedics. He understood the need for excellent schools, businesses, recreation and safety
He had a deep connection and appreciation of the importance of the Town Square and championed a major renovation transforming the Square into the family destination that it is today.
He believed in an open door policy and loved helping people day or night, he was a friend to all. He was quick to give credit to all of those who served for the betterment of the town. A close friend said of him, “Herman was a man of great vision. He wanted everyone involved."
Erected 2010 by Town of Collierville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Education • Government & Politics • War, World II. A significant historical year for this entry is 1939.
Location. 35° 3.723′ N, 89° 40.573′ W. Marker is in Collierville, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker can be reached from West Powell Road just east of Greenview Road, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located in front of the Herman W. Cox Community Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 440 West Powell Road, Collierville TN 38017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Collierville High School (approx. 1.3 miles away); Collierville Christian ChurchFirst Baptist Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Tom Brooks Park (approx. 1.4 miles away); Fort/Stockade (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Original Village (approx. 1.4 miles away); Chalmers's Collierville Raid (approx. 1.4 miles away); Battle of Collierville (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Collierville.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 29, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 169 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 29, 2020, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.