Sachse in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Prior to 1886, this area served as farm and ranch land for a handful of settlers. During that year, the Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad indicated a desire to build tracks through the vicinity and William Sachse (1820-1899) donated land for this purpose. In return, the company agreed to lay out a townsite, construct a train station, and name the stop Sachse.
By 1956 Sachse was no longer a tiny rural settlement. The community would soon reach a population of almost 400, but residential services were lacking. Dallas County's Road and Bridge Department maintained the streets and the sheriff's office provided law enforcement. Residents and businesses used shallow wells for water access and individual septic systems for sewage disposal. Although Lake Lavon's construction in 1948 and the creation of the North Texas Municipal Water District in 1951 provided water for surrounding communities, Sachse was prohibited from receiving water from the district because it was not an incorporated town.
Incorporation, the election of a mayor and city aldermen, and the selling of bonds to pay for the water improvements were all necessary
Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16028.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 58.425′ N, 96° 35.509′ W. Marker is in Sachse, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on 5th Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3321 5th Street, Sachse TX 75048, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Sachse Caboose (approx. 0.3 miles away); William Sachse Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church of Rowlett First Baptist Church of Murphy (approx. 4 miles away); Wylie (approx. 4.1 miles away); Brown Cottage (approx. 4.2 miles away); First Baptist Church of Wylie (approx. 4.3 miles away); Thomas and Mattie Brown House (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sachse.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 29, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. This page has been viewed 50 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 29, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.