Chalmette in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Ursuline Nuns property, 1727; Sold to Gui Soniat Dufossat circa 1778; sold by Dufossat Family to Pierre Lacoste, 1796. Seized by British force, Dec., 1814; U.S. forces under Gen. John Coffee routed British in counterattack. Became Villere property in 1856.
Erected 1970 by The Louisiana Tourist Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812.
Location. 29° 55.897′ N, 89° 57.378′ W. Marker is in Chalmette, Louisiana, in St. Bernard Parish. Marker is on East St. Bernard Highway (State Highway 46) near Palmisano Boulevard (State Route 3238), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chalmette LA 70043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Plantation of Jacques Philippe Villere (approx. 0.6 miles away); Versailles Oaks (approx. 0.8 miles away); Denis de La Ronde Site (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Chalmette Plantations (approx. 0.8 miles away); Plantation of Pierre Denis De La RondeJumonville Plantation (approx. 1˝ miles away); Chalmette Plantation (approx. 2 miles away); Serving Those Who Saved Us (approx. 2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chalmette.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 1, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 154 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 1, 2020, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.